Wednesday, March 25, 2015

An Interview with a Doula

We started off the blog challenge talking about me. Today I'd like to introduce you to another Fabulous local Doula! 

Meet Vicki Todd, certified birth doula and registered massage therapist! (Yes that's right folks she gives massages too!) 

Vicki works over at Mother Nurture Massage and Doula Services and I am proud to have her as a colleague. She is also the fabulous Doula I call upon when I need a primary Back up. So let's get to know her a little bit better. 

Tell us a bit abut yourself and your family
A little about me and my family: I'm 35, and live in Coaldale AB. I am a registered massage therapist, certified infant massage therapist and a certified birth doula. I share my home with my partner Alan, my 2 year old son Simon, my 13 year old step-daughter Julie and our 3 cats!


What made you decide to become a Doula? 
I was a Doula long before I was a mama. I was in massage school and we were learning about early childhood development. Our instructor was talking about doulas and I knew it was a great way to empower women. It's no secret that childbirth isn't something that is talked about much. My own family never shared birth stories, and there is a lot of fear that comes with lots of misinformation. I hope to educate and empower women so that they know that they have choices in childbirth and that they know that their voice is a valid one that will be heard. 

What is your favorite thing about being a Doula? 
There are many, but one of my favorite parts is watching a man become a father. There is no more authentic response in a human then the joy that men have witnessing their child being born. I have heard the most authentic laughter and tears of joy from men. Not only that, but it's amazing to witness the awe they have watching their wives deep in the labour process. Even if they can't say it out loud, I always know how amazed and proud they are of their wives. 

Tell us about your hobbies/interests/passions 
I enjoy a good yoga class, watching movies, reading a good book and getting together with friends. Days spent not doing much other then spending time with my family are great too and are my favorite way to spend the day. 

Tea or Coffee? What's your favorite beverage? 
I love both! 

What is one piece of advice you would offer up to new or expectant parents? 
I've been thinking about this one a lot. I think my one piece of advice I would share with expectant mamas/parents is this: Birth is an incredibly unique experience. No matter the mother, there are many variables that determine the outcome of a birth. When you hear the stories, many awful stories of birth from others, remember that what happened to them will likely not happen to you. Do your research, find a care provider you are comfortable with and who will answer any questions you have and do what is best for you and your family at the time you give birth. There is no "right" way to have a baby.



No comments:

Post a Comment